RE: Newbie Having Much Trouble Getting Deb 2.4.18-bf2.4 To Work

`hostname` by itself will tell you what the machine thinks its name is.
`hostname puter` chanages the hostname to puter, but this will not change
the prompt immediately.  First you must log out and back in to see a
change there. (alternatively, you could source /etc/profile or ~/.profile
since this is where PS1 is typically set).

However, this will not make the change permanent as the hostname is reset
on each reboot by the /etc/init.d/hostname.sh script.  (/etc/init.d holds
all the startup/shutdown scripts linked to from the appropriate runlevel
directory (/etc/rc.*) (see init & /etc/inittab for more on runlevels)).
The /etc/init.d/hostname.sh sript reads /etc/hostname to set the hostname.

So, to come to the point of an incredibly long winded response, make sure
the file /etc/hostname contains the hostname you want.

I hope someone else can help with your other questions.