Re: ASUS P5P800 Motherboard support

Mark Par wrote:
On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:03:01AM -0800, Syed Huq wrote:

Can you pls tell me if the ASUS P5P800 Motherboard would work with Debian ?

OR

Can you point me to a Motherboard Hardware listing that shows which
Motherboard's would work with Debian.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/

I'd like that myself. That HOWTO is not up to date. I have had an Abit KT7A mobo for the last 3 years and I am planning a mobo upgrade and will go with Abit again. Abit is not in that HOWTO.

I stand to be corrected but getting a mobo is a hit and miss proposition: first you google for problems with Linux, if you don't find them, go!

First of all, I would get an Abit KV7 now. For these reasons:
- I want to get a faster processor than the 850MHz Athlon I have now. So this supports the XP 2700+ of 2.17 GHz, almost 3x faster. - But I want a minimum of integrated hardware, this only has sound and lan, which the KT7A did not have.
- I'll have to buy DDR memory, expensive.
- I'll stick with Abit.

Now those are not very exact reasons.

What are your reasons for picking the ASUS P5P800?
I note that it is for an Intel CPU and costs almost twice more than the KV7. I guess I go with AMD because of the trackrecord.

HTH