Re: repeated messages in /var/log/syslog from sensord

H. S. wrote:

I installed sensord a couple of days ago and since then I am getting these messages repeatedly and I am not sure what to make of them. Should I be worried? If not, then how can I stop these messages(apart from uninstalling sensord)? If yes, what could be wrong?

Here is one cycle which is repeated every half hour:
Nov 29 07:26:07 archie sensord: Chip: as99127f-i2c-0-2d
Nov 29 07:26:07 archie sensord: Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at e800
Nov 29 07:26:07 archie sensord: Algorithm: Unavailable from sysfs
Nov 29 07:26:07 archie sensord: VCore 1: +1.73 V (min = +1.74 V, max = +1.94 V) [ALARM]

<snip>

Very interesting!

I use the lm-sensors stuff to show CPU temp, CPU Fan speed and Core temp in a wharf of fvwm (http://esquipulas.homeunix.com/index.php?p=59)

You'll see that I get a similar Alarm but much more "serious" than yours.

You can "adjust" the values of these things in /etc/sensors.conf.

To give an example I had to "adjust" the CPU temp like:

compute "temp2" @-10.0 , @+10.0

The reason? It COULD NOT be right. I checked it with BIOS on a cold start and it started out always 10 degrees more than the core temp when you booted cold: that takes 5 secs or so to see the BIOS? It could not have risen 10 degrees in 5 secs, so it was too high, I adjusted it.

That Vcore is another one: mine ALWAYS shows:

CPU core:  +1.85 V  (min =  +2.00 V, max =  +2.50 V)   ALARM

So the box is 3 years old with that core alarm: it will survive.

I used to think it was due to the power supply: changed power supplies: same thing, so it just is a chip malfunction, I guess...

Now if I were you I would get rid of sensord. Neat idea but too many notes. The real need that I could think of and implemented: if the CPU Fan stops, my program that monitors stops the system. I tried it by stopping the fan and it DOES stop the sustem then. That wharf sits on my screen and I see the values.

HTH