Re: Linux 2.6 kernel modules links...

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:18:08 +0200, condor_rl@libero.it
<condor_rl@libero.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just upgraded to linux kernel 2.6.
> But I have a lot of problems with kernel modules.
> Now I think the time is arrived, and I would like to understand how kernel modules "work" and fit with kernel.
> For example what is /etc/modules.conf, what is modprobe?
> And what is new in kernel 2.6 concerning modules?
>
> Looking for "2.6 kernel modules" with google on Internet I can find lots
> of informations but I did not found an overall view about kernel modules
> and related config files for 2.6 kernel.
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something, but I will be glad if you could help me
> with some links to documents you judge good start poins..

I hope you have installed the "module-init-tools" package.

In short modules.conf is a configuration file for loading kernel
modules, modprobe is a program to add and remove modules from the
running kernel. The difference between insmod is that modprobe try to
resolve modules dependencies.

To have more details "man modules.conf" and "man modprobe" or you can
look to the kernel-howto (but don't know how is updated)...

Andrea