Linux 2.6 kernel modules links...

Hi,

I have just upgraded to linux kernel 2.6.
But I have a lot of problems with kernel modules.
Now I think the time is arrived, and I would like to understand how kernel modules "work" and fit with kernel.
For example what is /etc/modules.conf, what is modprobe?
And what is new in kernel 2.6 concerning modules?

Looking for "2.6 kernel modules" with google on Internet I can find lots
of informations but I did not found an overall view about kernel modules
and related config files for 2.6 kernel.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I will be glad if you could help me
with some links to documents you judge good start poins..

THK to all
Lorenzo