Re: broken cd-rw drive

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:58:28AM -0300, Ulisses Reina Montenegro de Albuquerque wrote:
> David Fokkema wrote:
>
> >Hi group,
> >
> >I broke my cd-rw drive. I really hope this has nothing to do with a
> >possible bug in linux and/or cdrecord. Here's my story...
> >

> [snip]
>
> There has been a single case of confirmed CD-RW hardware malfunctioning
> due to software bugs related to Linux, and it was due to questionable
> use of ATAPI codes by LG, and it only affected LG CD-ROM drives under
> Mandrake 9.2 (which shipped with a patched kernel image that queried the
> hardware through the use of the above-mentioned ATAPI codes). You can
> check on that: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3

So there is a confirmed case, but these drives could be recovered. No
real physical damage here, :-)

> I don't want to sound like a zealot, but your situation does not sound
> at all like it was caused by software.

>From time to time, my family/friends tell me, I _do_ sound like a
zealot.

> I know you tried not to sound like you are blaming Debian/Linux for
> what happened, but please try to exhaust all possibilities before
> coming up with the usual "well, this was the only thing I changed, so
> it must be the cause of my problem" approach.

On the contrary. This wasn't my approach at all. But then, as it
happened while I was switching kernel modules etc., I want to absolutely
make sure it is _not_ caused by software so I can wholeheartedly yell at
the support people when (if) they tell me they don't support linux and
well, it was not recommended to run that anyway, so warranty is void.

> Cheers, and good luck findind a replacement drive.

Thanks!

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!