Re: broken cd-rw drive

David Fokkema wrote:

Hi group,

I broke my cd-rw drive. I really hope this has nothing to do with a
possible bug in linux and/or cdrecord. Here's my story...
[snip]

There has been a single case of confirmed CD-RW hardware malfunctioning due to software bugs related to Linux, and it was due to questionable use of ATAPI codes by LG, and it only affected LG CD-ROM drives under Mandrake 9.2 (which shipped with a patched kernel image that queried the hardware through the use of the above-mentioned ATAPI codes). You can check on that: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3

I don't want to sound like a zealot, but your situation does not sound at all like it was caused by software. I know you tried not to sound like you are blaming Debian/Linux for what happened, but please try to exhaust all possibilities before coming up with the usual "well, this was the only thing I changed, so it must be the cause of my problem" approach.

Cheers, and good luck findind a replacement drive.
Ulisses