Re: If ATI and nVidia don't support their own products, who does?

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 20:26:41 +1000, Caveman wrote:

> Frankly I think nvidia should get a clap on the back for making a
> driver.

A kick in the front for being completely closed.

> So its not Open Source, well frankly you are never going to
> get totally open source.

I may never get totally open source, but one of the biggest reasons is
that some Linux (and presumably BSD) users buy their hardware anyway.  The
attitudes of ATI and Nvidia (and others) says clearly that they don't care
about their customers.  I'm not buying their excuses or their products.

> There are always going to be purducts which are not fully open, but
> thats something I dont care about if it means better hardware support.

Clearly, then, you don't buy anything from ATI or Nvidia, and that's a
good choice.  Their policies tie their customers to at the very best
promises of support and bug fixes.  When (and not if) these companies
decide their victims have had enough, you won't be stuck with any of their
expensive paperweights.