Re: HP 2210 USB printer problems in Sid

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004, Curt Howland wrote:
> On Sunday 03 October 2004 14:11, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh was heard
> to say:
> > Is usblp loading and finding the printer ? It needs to.
>
> usblp is loaded, but this is all I can find:

See the kernel logs. You need to find something like this:
Oct  3 15:28:52 khazad-dum kernel: printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional
printer dev 13 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x6004

When the printer is connected/turned on.  My HP DeskJet 5550 likes to
disconnect and reconnect itself every time I push the on/off button
(be it "on" or "off").

> # lsmod
> usblp                  13088  0

That's normal, unless something is actively using the device.

> > Is /dev correctly configured for usblp?
>
> I find no usblp entry in /dev at all.
>
> /dev# ls -al *lp*
> crwxrwxrwx  1 root lp 6, 0 Jun 13  2001 lp0
> crwxrwxrwx  1 root lp 6, 1 Jun 13  2001 lp1
> crwxrwxrwx  1 root lp 6, 2 Jun 13  2001 lp2

See that you have lp entries under /dev/usb, or look for where the USB
devices end up if you are using udev (I am still using kernel 2.4, so no
udev).  Make sure you have

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

mounted, as well.

Your printer must be listed in  /proc/bus/usb/devices when it is connected
to the USB bus.

/sbin/MAKEDEV usb  will create the usb stuff in /dev.

  Henrique Holschuh