Re: Accented characters

Antonio Rodriguez <arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 02:46:41PM -0500, Rich Wellner wrote:
>> I have two debian boxes and unable to get accented characters to work.  I am
>> attempting to do this via:
>>
>> xmodmap -e "keycode 117 =  Multi_key"
>>
>> On machine one it works perfectly.  I can multi-key my accented characters
>> to my hearts content.
>>

> The way I solve it is by using the following configuration in XF86Config
> (see attached, look for key board, then I just toggle with alt+shift). HTH

Thanks for the idea, but I've tried that one.  :-(

That gives me similar behavior to the multi_key switch in that I can type
accented characters and the keyboard input seems to be accepted, but no
character is displayed.

I'm really having a hard time with this one because it seems like if the
display is broken (which was my initial thought) then it should always be
broken.  If it works it should always work.  But it is broken if I try to get
accented characters on local applications, but works fine if I try to get them
even if I do something as simple as ssh in a locally running kterm to another
machine.  Then I can type them and they display are they are supposed to.  So,
I'm not sure what is going on here.

Ideas still appreciated!

rw2