Re: [OT] Video card recommendations.

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 10:28:05PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Greetings list,
> What I would like to do is get an nVidia card.  Partly
> because I am sick of ATi, and partly because my nForce2
> motherboard will hopefully be a bit more compatible
> with the nVidia card than it has been with the ATi
> card.

Don't know how well they'll communicate. I seem to remember reading
that nvidia boards presented more problems than average when I was
looking for a new MB, so I avoided them.

> I would like to hear what models and brands of nVidia
> cards the list members use and what their experiences
> with those have been.  My card is a Radeon 9000 Pro
> 128 MB that cost US$ 85 in July '03.  I am looking for
> something with comparable or better performance in the
> sub-$100 range.

I went with a Leadtek 5700 card, but that's not in this range AFAIK.
Nonetheless I generally have had minimal problems with it.  Read the
docs for the modules and kernel bits, and note what needs to be done
for X as well.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,