Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

On Tue, 25 May 2004 07:47, William Ballard wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 02:30:22PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> > In "123" there is no "one" or "twenty three" written there, but
> > that doesn't mean those words aren't used in pronouncing the number
> > written as "123."
>
> What digit corresponds to "and"?

And what digit corresponds to 'hundred' ?   (Or 'thousand' or 'million' yadda
yadda...)

Numbers are not spoken the way they are written, either in English or any
other language I know of.   (Other than telephone numbers and serial numbers,
that is)

And in English (I mean 'British English', though that term always strikes me
as tautological if not oxymoronic),    'and' is invariably used between the
'hundreds' and the 'tens' figure, as in 'two hundred AND thirty-seven'.

cr