Re: xcdroast

Tom Allison wrote:
Guilty as charged on the video card. But it's one of the better ones I could find. In the future what would you recommend for 3D graphics cards?

Here's the dirty little secret of all the holier-than-thou "don't use binary only drivers" people out there.... There's no alternative.

When it comes to consumer grade 3D cards you have 2 realistic choices. nVidia and ATI. Both of whom have proprietary Linux drivers(1). Of the two, nVidia's got the better Linux support at the moment(2).

So in the future, nVidia and tell the people giving you guff to stick it where the sun don't shine.

(1) There is a project to get ATI cards working with X without using ATIs proprietary drivers at <http://dri.sourceforge.net/>. However they're only up to the 9500 series. IE, a generation or two back. So if one wants to use the latest ATI cards one will need to use ATI's drivers.

(2) Trust me on that one. I spent 3 months trying to get City of Heros working under Cedega. The factor that finally got it to work. Pulled my ATI 9800Pro, dropped in my old GeForce3 and was able to play no problems. Well, aside from low frame rates.