Re: network connection fails after setup

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:32:45 -0800 (PST), Roger Creasy
<roger_creasy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 03:34:53 -0800 (PST), Roger
> > Creasy
> > <roger_creasy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Howdy!
> > >
> > > I set up sarge with kernel 2.4.
> > > This setup was done via a startup cd and http.
> > During
> > > setup files were downloaded with no problem. After
> > the
> > > setup was complete, I have no internet or network
> > > connection. Any suggestions for a fix?
> >
> > Is your network cable plugged in? The simplest
> > solution is often the
> > best.
>
> Yes it is plugged in and yes you correct regarding
> simple solutions.
>
> >Anyway we'll need some more info, give us the
> > output of lsmod
> > (to see if your network driver is loaded), ifconfig
> > -a, the contents
> > of /etc/network/interfaces and whatever you get if
> > you run "dmesg |
> > grep eth".
> >
> > Usually it's best to supply as much information as
> > you can think of
> > since we're going to be asking for it anyway.
>
> To send this requested info, since I don't have a
> network connection, I will have to write it down then
> type it into another computer then e-mail it. This
> will leave lots of room for me to make a mistake and
> give improper info. Can you simplify this process by
> telling me what I should look for? If not, I will
> gather the info and re-post...

Firstly, if you do "dmesg | grep eth" and it gives you some output
chances are your module is already loaded and has recognized the
network card. In this case, read "man interfaces" and edit
/etc/network/interfaces.

If not, try "lspci -v | less" (This will give a lot of output so it's
best to pipe it into less). Now look for something about a network
card/chip. Report that back to us or try to figure out from the
chipname which module you need. You can get a nice list of them by
executing modconf. If you happend to find the right driver, see above.

greets,
Wim