Re: kernel version

Dani Belz wrote:
* YH <yh@paradise.net.nz> [04-12-30 20:45]:

Thanks all for the help. How can I type the "uname -r" and get "2.2.20-idepci"? I really didn't know what that means as I am only aware of most distributions use the kernel 2.4.x or 2.6.x? Any explain please?

You need to type "bf24" at the boot prompt when installing woody.
This will take the 2.4.18-bf24 kernel. Guess you didn't and so it
was installed with the old 2.2.X kernel :-/

grZ
Dani

No need to reinstall if you want that 2.4.18 kernel -- doing an `apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4` will give exactly that kernel If you want a newer kernel than 2.4.18, you'll have to build it yourself or get it from some backports site; As woody is a bit dated trying 2.6.x would probably get you into more problems (missing packages and stuff) than using a 2.4.x kernel, I think

HTH,

Joris