Re: modem for potato

In article <3hjCt-29f-1@gated-at.bofh.it> you wrote:
> In fact I tried four modems one internal and three externals and probably you
> are right, the internal was the winmodem, but between the three others only the
> US ROBOTIC 56 FAX/MODEM worked. (and works yet)

Did you try if they work on minicom? Almost all standard (AT Hayes
compatible) serial modems work in linux - only some very old (14.400????)
Rockwell modems don't! Sometimes you must play with init strings but this is
doable.

> When we buy a modem we get the driver for this modem but unfortunetly it is
> for windows not for linux.
>
> PS1
> My problem for the moment is to find a second-hand modem which works fine
> with a 486 and potato.(i.e. such that potato contains the suitable driver)

Your main problem on 486 is that you must have a 16650 like serial interface
(check dmesg)

--
MCSE (Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert)