CD writing with newer kernels

Greetings Debianists!

I have been happily using make-kpkg to build my own kernel debs for a while,
and recently found that the cdrecord version in sid will not play nicely with
new kernels (2.6.9-something and above).
I am using kernel 2.6.10, running sid on an Athlon 1.3 (tb), and got an LG
CD-writer.

I have reviewed the bugs in the Debian BTS, and they all refer to
incompatibilities,
but no references to lockups. Well, my system locks up hard when I try
to burn CDs, and I have to reset the box... It happens after
CD-burning starts -- the
CD-writer led keeps blinking, even after some seconds, when the machine freezes.
I have also downloaded and compiled coaster (which uses libburn), tried to
burn a CD, and the box also locks up hard (magic sysrq doesn't work).

I also patched and compiled cdrecord (I used the patch in #267273), and got
the same problem.

Do you people remember having seen this problem reported before somewhere?
Or could this be a hardware problem (my power supply was fried a week ago and
I had to replace it).

I'd appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot!

-- mnunes