Re: Installing old tarballs on a new Debian system

Jim McCloskey wrote:
cga <cga2001@softhome.net> wrote:

|> I am currently switching to Debian and I have a bunch of utilities,
|> wmaker applets, etc.. in source format that I would like to reinstall
|> on the new system. Unfortunately a number of these are not available
|> as .deb's.
|>
|> As I see it I can either copy them to /usr/local/tarballs & do the
|> usual ./configure/make/ make-install dance or try to create .deb's
|> myself. This last approach being probably the more dangerous.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by `clean'  in this context, but
there are certain applications that I have routinely compiled and
installed in /usr/local/ and it hasn't led to any kind of problem so
far. Debian just ignores that part of the directory tree so things
mostly just live in there happily ever after, un-molested by the
package-management system.

Maybe there'd be some advantage to creating personalized debs, but I
can't at least for the moment think what it might be.

I suppose there is some risk that you would purge some library needed
by an application in /usr/local/, if you use a tool like deborphan or
aptitude to keep your system spare. Since the package management
system won't know that something in /usr/local/ needs the library, it
might present you with the opportunity/temptation to purge it (in the
case that none of your installed debs depends on it). All I know,
though, is that, even though I'm fond of deborphan and use it
regularly, this hasn't been a problem for me in the years that I've
been hand-compiling certain things in the /usr/local/ space,

Cheers,

Jim

--

Thanks very much to both for quick detailed replies.

I have used checkistall with rpm's so I knew that you could use it to generate debian packages. Never had problems with it but when I couldn't find a deb package for it in the sarge repository I thought it might not be quite ready or reliable enough to use it on a Debian system.. I think I'll give it a shot on my new system.

I wasn't too happy with the /usr/local solution on my previous system because I tend to install programs, play with them for a while and in many cases just remove them from the system to reclaim the space. Without something like rpm or dpkg it's a bit more difficult.

Thanks again for your comments.