i82365 and Cirrus Logic CL 6729

I'm trying to install debian on a Gateway 2100 laptop. It's a really old machine but I'm blind and I can't afford a new one.

 It's currently running suse 7.something with kernel 2.2.18.

I downloaded the debian installer and wrote it to a CD. I boot from the CD and enter a command at the boot prompt to get a serial console. Then I can run the installer on another machine that already has a screen reader installed.

Anyway, it detects the Cirrus Logic CL 6729 chipset and tries to load the i82365 module. And then I get an error message saying the module failed to load. I opened a shell and tried to insmod the module myself and got an error message reproduced below:

                                               ~ # insmod i82365
                                                                             Usi
ng /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-386/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o
insmod: init_module:
i82365: No such device

When I boot suse, it does successfully load the i82365 module.

--
John G. Heim
"To boldly code what no one has coded before."