Re: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:14:59 +0530, Aditya Pratap
<adityavpratap@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi,
>  I am getting this message when I try to upgrade KDE using apt-get install -
>  You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.
>  Is it ok if I delete the files in this directory? Or is there any other way
> out.

If you have another partition or disk with more space, create a new
temporary cache dir and pass it to apt-get with something like
'apt-get -o dir::cache::archives="/tmp/foo" install
your_package_name". It should bark about missing a file or directory,
"touch" it and you are done...

You should find the details on the apt documentation, look for "clean"
or "autoclean" to delete packages.

Andrea

P.S. if you have yet downloaded some packages in your
/var/cache/archive you can copy them in the new dir, dont recall if
you can give to apt two or more dir as cache archive...