Backups - what files can safely be omitted?

Thanks for the folks who advised me re backing up a running system.  I'm
just testing mondo at the moment.  Looks ideal for my purposes.

What files can safely be omitted from a debian system backup?  Obvious ones
are /var/cache/apt/archives (if you're like me an hold onto these files) and
/var/spool/squid (if you use squid).  Is there anything crucial in /var/log
that can't be trashed?  Is there anything else in /var?

TIA.