Re: ncftp versus ncftp2 -- Debian packages for woody

From:
Alex Malinovic

ncftp2 is the old ncftp client which many people really liked to use in scripts (a la wget). ncftp (3.x+) is a rewrite which focuses on using ncftp as a client application, not an automated scripting tool. If you prefer a CLI ftp client to a GUI like I do, ncftp (3.x+) is about the best program out there. It does local and remote directory completion, it has a great bookmark system, tons of options, and is very well laid out. And best of all, while it uses ncurses it manages to do so without those garish red on blue menus. Everything is in black and white but just laid out in an easy to read graphical layout. If, on the other hand, you need a cron job to do lots of ftp transfers and wget can't handle it for some reason, ncftp2 might be what you need. That's just my opinion though. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find quite a few die hard ncftp2 users who actually use it as their client day to day.

Ok, I got both packages. The man pages are identical. I used ncftp to download some files off my shell account on my ISP just to free up some space. It does give a nice running download summary similar to apt-get update & apt-get upgrade. Just the plain old ftp by itself just sits there and looks at you silently while doing its business. I have yet to see the difference. I guess I'll explore further. I may have missed the obvious difference(s) or just haven't used it enough yet.

Thanks for the information!

--
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless

Linux Gcomm 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown