Re: Linux Functionality?

Eugen Leitl wrote:
On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 08:48:00PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

Right. However, Windows has some fairly stupid ways of handling user privledges, thus many games require Administrator rights. So guess what most people run as in Windows?

Most people run shit. Usability and security are mutually exclusive, as far as
mainstream is concerned.
It's perfectly possible to turn a Unix into a point-and-drool box, and if it
ever hits mainstream (OS X 2% ain't that) the least secure system will
be chosen, and it will evolve towards less security, and more convenience.

I don't believe this to be true.

Initially everything was single user in the world of DOS and dial up connectivity was the only way to really have an opportunity of getting a virus. How things have changed.

The original concept of every man being root on his own machine, is not longer viable. It's a matter of retraining the user to think about this differently, to accept the difference, and procede to work with the differences.

My family is a great place for me to learn about this. My kids are more accomodating than my wife. But they haven't been prejudiced with as many years of Windows as my wife. They have access to a windows machine as well and they are starting to see the differences.

While some things are easy in windows, some things are much easier in linux or at least much more stable in linux. In less than a year the windows box slowed down to a crawl. No software changes other than patches. Added memory ($$) and not much changed. Then they decided to remove the virus' and spyware. That helped but it's still pretty messed up. It's not my computer, it's my ex's. But she's doing everything that everyone else is doing. Helping the economy of taiwan by buying memory and then helping some other national economy by buying spyware removers.