Re: Boot problem with a moved ext3 partition

High,

On 28 Dec 2004, jean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a laptop with windows XP and Debian sarge, the boot is from
> windows XP.  I've transformed the debian ext3 partion in an extended
> partition with inside the orginal partition (I've used Partion Magic
> 8.0).  The operation terminated with success and then I generated a
> new linux.bin to boot debian from windows but it doesn't work (on the
> screen appears only "GRUB").

I assume you reconfigured GRUB with 'root (hd0,4)' 'setup (hd0)'?

> I think that the ext3 partition is ok beacouse I can browse it with
> partition magic and if I boot with the debian CD I can mount (I found
> it in /dev/disks/ide1/part5) and browse it. Besides e2fsck doesn't
> report any error.
>
> With the debian CD (sarge 20040429) I tried to use the partition
> manager specifying to use the existent partition ext3 but I've the
> following messages:
>
> 1 - Filesystem was not cleany unmounted! you should e2fsck. Modifying
> an unclean filesystem could cause severe corruption (I press continue
> because I run e2fsck without error)
>
> 2 - This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout! Ported can't
> resize this (yet)
>
> 3 - The test of the filesystem with type ext3 in partition #5 of IDE1
> master found uncorrect errors.  If you don't go back to the
> partitioning menu and correct these errors the partition will not be
> used at all.
>
> What can be the problem?  The extended partion I made with partition
> magic? An utility for windows, bootparts, sees it as type=f (Win95
> XInt 13 extended), size= 36162315 KB, Lba Pos=44885610.

This is wrong. The partition type should be Linux. Run fdisk and change
the partition type.

> The ext3 was wrongly moved by partion magic? But than how can I mount
> and use it!

Are you sure the number of blocks is still the same as it was before
moving?

> The boot sector of the ext3 partion was corrupted and than GRUB
> doesn't work? In this case, how can I repair it?

First change the partition type to Linux. Does e2fsck run properly now?

Then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to your new settings, something like:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.10
root            (hd0,4) 			<--- this is your extended partition
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/hda5 ro <--- idem.
savedefault

Also check your XP record (I don't run windoze, so I can't help you with
that one).

Then run grub and type:
root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0)

and see if you are able to boot again.

Greetz,
Sebas

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)