Re: Alternate OSes based on Debian

On Monday 27 Dec 2004 21:49, Steve Lamb wrote:
<snip>
>      To give a sledgehammer example what you're doing is saying that the
> *Republic* of the United States of America, the Irish *Republican?* Army
> and the People's *Republic* of China are somehow in cahoots with one
> another because they all, as part of their offical name, chose the word
> "Republic".
<snip>

<pedantic>

um, wikipedia defines a republic as a:

form of government (and a state so governed) where the head of state is not
a monarch.

by this definition, It is correct to apply the term republic to both the USA
and the PRC. it is also correct for both to apply the term to themselves.
The IRA, (back when they picked the name) supported the idea of an Irish
republic, ie, not ruled by the British Queen. As such it is correct for
them to use the term to describe themselves as well.

</pedantic>

To Patch Steve's comment, which I agree with the spirit of, a British
Republication supports the idea of Britain getting rid of it's Queen and
all trappings thereof. An American Republican supports the Republican
party, which doesn't have anything to do with getting rid of a monarch. Its
all in the context.

pedanticly yours,

Pete