Re: Debian on SATA HD

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 05:37:27PM -0500, dorn hetzel wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 12:31:49AM +0200, roy wrote:
> >
> > I'm going to buy a SATA HD dedicated for Debian (out of IDE connections and
> > the HD's are always full).
> >
> > I've never installed Debian (or linux) before, just wanted to make sure this
> > is going to work (as for as the HD's concerned)...
> > Has anyone done this before or can confirm SATA should not be a problem?
> >
> Using a Abit AA8 motherboard, with the onboard SATA controller,
> I encountered significant dificulties in installing to a SATA
> boot disk running in the native high performance mode.  I think
> that it would be no trouble in the compatability mode where it
> basically pretends to be a PATA disk, but I wanted the max
> performance (The disks under full SATA mode look like sort of
> like SCSI disks to the system, showing up as /dev/sda, etc.)
>
> I wound up using a PATA boot disk and just use the 4 SATA
> disks after booting.  When I have more time, I do hear it's
> possible to get a booting kernel built that will come up
> on the native SATA disks...
>
> Best Regards!
>
> -Dorn

I'm sorry to say so but in my opinion use of SATA discs should be
avoided at the moment, if one wants to have a stable system. It is
possible though, by including appropriate modules for your chipset into
the  kernel (the most recent kernel if possible).

Piotr
--
   Piotr Kopszak, Ph.D.
   Polish Art Gallery, National Museum in Warsaw