Re: Ugly sarge upgrade -- kernel 2.4.27-2 > 2.4.27-6

Michael Murphy wrote:
After upgrading, the computer ran so slowly that it was as if I were
trying to run on a '486.  On boot, the lines *crawled* up the screen
in shifting waves.  Also, the soundcard couldn't be found and alsa
didn't load.  I restored the previous version from the snapshots
archive and all has returned to normal.
Any one else?  Googling's born no fruit.  I'm brand new to debian (a
recent redhat emigree) and am unsure where, or whether, to report
this.  Any insight or direction members of this list can share will
be gratefully received.
Computer:  Toshiba laptop 2805-S202
Processor:  PIII/700MHz
Video Card:  S3 Savage/IX-MV
Sound Care:  Yamaha DS-XG (ymf754)

packages involved/upgraded:

kernel-image-2.4.27-1-686
kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-1-686
kernel-headers-2.4.27-1
kernel-headers-2.4.27-1-686

Note that I'm running the stock kernel, the header packages are here
for exploration I've not yet begun.  Note also that I'm running
alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686 version 1.0.6a+5 for which an upgrade was
*not* provided. I don't know if this might be related.
Hi Michael,
I guess you didn't notice my posting on this list dated 24/12/04 with the subject alsa mismatch... Anyway as Thomas Hood pointed out this is known as kernel bug #284356. I would suggest the following: 1. apt-get update then apt-get upgrade then apt-get dist-upgrade until you have the latest versions of your packages. 2. Get the source for the alsa drivers module and compile it and then intall it. This worked for me and my alsa and the rest of sarge is purring like a kitten.
Good luck,
Jonathan