oops, I broke something :)

I installed GCC 3.4.3 to fix problems compiling
some software, and then got into conflicts with
different versions of the C libraries (or at
least that's what I think went wrong).  Then I
removed some older library versions and now I
have broken something :)

When I use the man command, for example, I get
results like the following:

FLAC(1)                                                                FLAC(1)

NAME
       flac - Free Lossless Audio Codec

SYNOPSIS
       flac [ options ] [ infile.wav | infile.aiff | infile.raw | - ... ]

       flac  [  -d  |  --decode | -t | --test | -a | --analyze ] [ OPTIONS ] [
       infile.flac ... ]

DESCRIPTION
       flac is a command-line tool for encoding, decoding, testing and analyz-
       ing FLAC streams.

I'm reluctant to just apt-get reinstall a bunch of stuff, because
I really do need the newer GCC for some things.  I was wondering
if it might address my problems to get the source and rebuild
the various utilities like man that turn up with issues, so that
they are using the newer GCC and libraries ?

If so, where would I find the source for basic utilities like man?

Best Regards and thanks in advance for a clue :)

Merry XMas!

-Dorn