Re: sem_open / how to use NPTL? [SOLVED]

Hi folks,

I posted my problem in the debian-glibc mailing list, and Goto Masanori answered a few lines completely solving my problem. You need tmpfs mounted at /dev/shm. Probably most people have this, I didn't, as I didn't want to waste ressources and I didn't see the consequences. So, if anyone has the same problem as me:

1. If your 2.6 kernel lacks tmpfs support, compile & install one who has it (the option is to be found under "Device drivers -> Pseudo filesystems -> Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)"

2. Mount tmpfs by including this line in /etc/fstab
tmpfs     /dev/shm     tmpfs     defaults    0   0
and having a "mount /dev/shm" automatically in the start scripts or manually.

Although some otherwise nice texts in the internet like this[1] claim that you don't need to have /dev/shm mounted to have named semaphores, at least my systems really needs it mounted. The second I unmounted it I got the familiar "function not implemented".

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody!
Viktor.