offlineimap duplicating emails

[John... I put you on Bcc to be sure you see this. Please forgive me.]

Hi all,

I love offlineimap and it has enabled me to increase the efficiency
with which I communicate. Thanks, John!

Recently, however, on one of my machines, it started to download
emails, then upload them to the server, from where it would then
download the emails, and upload them again. It seems as if it lost
all concept of new vs. seen emails.

I have tried to delete the state files and the entire local maildir
hierarchy, re-sync'd everything with the server, but it just starts
again.

As this is almost unbearable, I am wondering what I can do. Has
anyone seen said behaviour? Has anyone found a solution? What is
going on, and how can I get it back to normal?

Thanks,

`. `'`