[CVS] Merging external snapshot to local repository

Hello,

I believe it is not very off-topic here.

I'm running Debian and looking for some tools and solutions
which could help me with merging external snapshot of some project
into my own local version of it in the CVS repository.

Here is a longer story:

I would like to assure myself if my idea is correct.
There is a project and its main CVS repository, but I don't have any access to that. I only get a daily snapshot of the last revision of the project.

Now, I would like to create my own local repository (on my Debian
workstation) and import there that daily snapshot of the project.
Certainly, I expect that all changes commited to this local repository won't be lost.

So, in my daily development I use my local repository, make changes and
commit them to my repo. But once a day I would like to import the new snapshot and merge this snapshot with my local version of project.

Then, from time to time I would like to create patches from local repository and send it to project maintainers, so they could merge my changes with into the main repository tree.

So, I read a lot of CVS docs, manual and articles and as I understand there is a solution for my tasks called in manual as "Tracking third-party sources" described in the book:

http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/cvsmanual/cvs_105.html

and manual

https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.18/cvs_13.html#SEC103

This technique is also known as "Importing and tracking vendor source":

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/cvs/import.html

Finally, I would like to ask you if those solutions described in the above docs fit my requirements?
Would you like to add something or warn me?
Are there any tools which could help me to do it?

Best regards

--
Mateusz Łoskot, mateusz (at) loskot (dot) net
Registered Linux User #220771, Debian (Sarge)