install probs

I did a testing net install a few days ago. The system is 2.4.27 kernel,
P4, 1G RAM, SCSI2 disk, IDE disk, SATA disk, RME soundcard, intel i810
video.

No probs with SCSI or parallel IDE, but the SATA disk doesn't seem to
exist after boot (off the SCSI disk). The BIOS sees it, and the DeMudi
system (a Debian derivative on the IDE disk) sees and mounts it as
/dev/hde when I boot that disk. This happens with the kernel package and
with my compiles. There was no problem with it under gentoo.

I can't figure out what's happening. I've tried compiling kernels, but
no joy. I got to the point of random choices in menuconfig, so I thought
I might ask the list.

Where is my SATA disk?

--
Glenn English