Re: Sarge not showing all RAM

On Thursday, 23.12.2004 at 12:33 -0500, JerryN wrote:

> > > In fact, according to the help message provided by the kernel, 1GB
> > > is on the edge: so it is  not so clear to me wether the kernel
> > > must be 4GB enabled.

> > > I am rebuilding my kernel with this option.
> > >
> > > We will see,
> >
> > There are three memory zones on x86 for linux
> > ZONE_DMA  < 16 MB
> > ZONE_NORMAL 16-896 MB
> > ZONE_HIGHMEM > 896 MB
> >
> > related to various hardware limitations. There's some interesting
> > discussions of this in 'Linux Kernel Development' by R. Love.
> > -peter
>
> I have the book.  Sorry, but it's about as practically informative as
> these numerous emails.

Stop top-posting, don't make pointless criticisms and read the messages.

I think this discussion has been sensible.  Peter's comments above
showing the memory zones answers everything; if you have more than 896MB
(possibly the same point as 905MB, depending on how you calculate your
megabytes) then you need to provide extra support in the kernel to be
able to use all your RAM.

You either do this by getting a pre-packaged kernel with the appropriate
support, or you build it yourself with one of the high memory options
configured.

That's pretty informative, no?

Dave.
--