Re: apt-get autoclean

Aldebaran wrote:

On Thursday 23 December 2004 04:57 am, Sam Watkins wrote:
On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 01:18:38PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
Ah! That'll definitely cause problems. I would recommend running
"apt-get autoclean".
Speaking of "apt-get autoclean", I think it would be nice to have an
option that does what autoclean does, but also deletes any packages that
have been installed on your computer.  If it's installed ok already, we
don't need the archive, right?

Thats what apt-get clean does right?

No; "clean" cleans out all the packages from the local repository, regardless of whether those packages have been installed or not. Sam's idea would be useful, in that maybe you've downloaded 400MB of packages over the past 3 or 4 Sid upgrades, and then this next time you run out of space on /var about halfway through downloading a new 50MB of files. These packages are now taking up about 425MB space, and you need an additional 25 to finish your upgrade. With Sam's idea, you could clean out those 400MB worth of packages which are already installed, without cleaning out the 25MB or so you've just downloaded for the most recent upgrade.

Sam; you might file a wishlist bug against the package for the feature. In the meanwhile, you could write a script that does what you want. (I'm not a scripter, so it'd take me two days to get anywhere close to a working script, but it'd do something like "for every "*.deb" in "/var/cache/apt/archives", run "dpkg -whateveroptiontestsifapackageisinstalled" and if it's a match, delete that ".deb").

--
Kent