Sarge Upgrade Brole Everything Except Terminal

Well, no one responded to my posting on how to get apt-get to upgrage to
Sarge so took matters in my own hands and installed the virtual kernel-image
2.6.8-10-i686.  Even so, lilo wouldn't boot it up until I ran MKINITRD and
that didn't run without error.  The setup didn't mention this. Is it
required?
However, my real problem is that I can only access the terminals.  My modem,
mouse are not recognized.  Can't dial out to finish upgrade.  X window
reports modules pex5, xie do not exist, yet the modules were installed, then
uninstalled.  /dev/psaux reported as nonexistant or not found.  Ran
dpkg --configure on gdm, XFree86 which ended in error.  The upgrade
reconfigured some things I told it use current configuration(buggy?) or is
this because I have a lot of upgrading to do before sarge works right.  The
final error on the X window error messages was: Fatal ????? error failed to
initialize core devices.
I'm stumped and need some help to resolve this, needing the modem first to
continue with the upgrading.  Please help.
Please copy my email address lenc@ruralcomm.com as I'm not currently
subscribed.
Many thanks.
Leonard

PS-I read the postings from Dec 15-18 period and picked up some info on
upgrading to sarge but didn't work for me.  So I searched the Deb site for
the kernel-image and installed.