Re: Back from near death: exhausted. Question 1

Michael Marsh wrote:
 > If I understand what you mean correctly, then it should be easy.
Thunderbird uses the mbox format, so you can just move one mbox file
in place of another.  For instance, if you have myBackupInbox, you can
move that to Inbox and be ready to go.  If you're trying to merge,
then "select all" (alt-a) and "move to..." are your friends.

For the address book, you should be able to replace the new abook.mab
with the backed-up version.  If you've made any changes to the
abook.mab that's currently in place, you might have to re-enter some
of the data.  I'd take whichever is larger and hand-enter the smaller
one's data.  I'm sure it's possible to merge the files, but it's not a
simple plain-text format.

HTH

Yes Michael,
you understood correctly. I know have the current TB with some local mail and very few addresses and the "old" directory with a larger mailbox and address book.

For the manual merging of the address book I understand.

For the mail please let me be more sure:

The backup directory contains a Mail/Local Folders directory in which I see two file pairs of interest:
keep and keep msf
Sent and Sent msf

If I rename them and place them in the current TB directory would it work of would I screw up the whole thing ?

I also see an ImapMail/imap.ngi.it. I would not need those since they should refelct what is ket on the IMAP host. Correct ?

In a perfect world I would also like to retrieve the filterrules from both.

Thank you,
Bob