Re: Article about apt-build

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:52:58 +0100, Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have translated a french article about apt-build. This is a quick
> introduction about its usage.
> I hope this could help some people to use this software and to make it
> better by sending patches, for example. :-)
>
> apt-build: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/apt-build
> French: http://shaddai.nerim.net/apt-build/
> English: http://julien.danjou.info/article-apt-build.html

Very nice -- however, I guess I was naive in believing/hoping that the
debian package developers (who packed their software for Architecture
X - say Ultrasparc in my case) would know and already have set the
appropriate performance/compatibility settings for the target platform
when creating the deb package.

apt-get install package
apt-get build-dep package (but only if required.)

The above are some of the reasons I use Debian -- otherwise, in my
case, I could just go to the respective software sites and download
the tar balls and build them myself; thus I would be acting like I do
whe using RH9 or FC.

And, as a small example, trying to get Apache2 compiled into this:

Apache/2.0.52 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_perl/1.99_14 Perl/v5.8.4
mod_python/3.1.3 Python/2.3.4 PHP/4.3.10-2 mod_ssl/2.0.52
OpenSSL/0.9.7e

Isn't something I really want to keep track of any longer.  Apache is
something I'm very familiar with and building all the
cross/co-dependencies can be a real pain at times.

My question to you is -- Would building all source from Debian scratch
myself using apt-build make my system more stable and faster?  Or
would I be prone to sending you funny e-mails after I've destroyed my
server?  =)

--
WC -Sx- Jones
http://insecurity.org/