Re: Old Release

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 11:53:35PM +0700, Muhammad Reza wrote:
> how do i upgrade my package, (ex:KDE), should i switch my source to
> debian package repository ? and if yes, what repository should i use ?

If you have broadband, or are prepared to wait for a while, you can
update to testing (sarge) over the internet, or else you can reinstall using
debian-installer (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ ;
I recommend to use the netinst CD image method)

If you want to upgrade over the net, the official doc on upgrading is at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-upgrade-process

This is talking about upgrading from potato to woody, but the process is
essentially the same.

here is my summary:

First, edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file so it looks like this:

deb http://mirrors.chipset.or.id/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free
deb http://mirrors.chipset.or.id/debian/ sarge/non-US main contrib non-free

deb-src http://mirrors.chipset.or.id/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirrors.chipset.or.id/debian/ sarge/non-US main contrib non-free

If you don't want to install source, comment out the deb-src lines, and this
will save time when updating your package lists.

If you don't want to install any non-free packages, or contrib packages (ones
that depend on non-free software), remove those words from the end of each
line.

Are you in Indonesia?  I chose a mirror for you in Indonesia, you can try a
different one if this one is slow, see http://www.debian.org/mirror/list for a
list.  For each mirror in the list, there should be two hyperlinks (if there
aren't, don't use it!), one for "debian" and one for "debian-non-US".  You can
the first japanese mirror, and no non-free or contrib packages, and no source
packages lists, you would have:

deb http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
deb http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian-non-US/ sarge/non-US main

#deb-src http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
#deb-src http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian-non-US/ sarge/non-US main

does that make sense?

Once you've chosen a mirror and written your /etc/apt/sources.list,
type the following:

apt-get update
apt-get install apt  # the upgrade might go better with a smarter apt
apt-get dist-upgrade

Hopefully everything will go well and you will end up with a sarge system - if
apt-get update gave errors it probably means you typed something wrong in the
config file.

You can then run "aptitude" or "synaptic" if you want to select more packages,
or just keep using apt-get.

If you want to upgrade to "sid" (unstable), just put "sid" instead of "sarge"
everywhere in your sources.list.  If you're running unstable (the cutting
edge!) I recommend that after you're set up, you only upgrade packages you
specifically want to upgrade, not every package every few days, else you'll
probably experience some bugs (and a lot of network traffic).

That's the other thing with unstable, you will have to download more to keep up
with it.  I recommend to try testing first and see if that does what you want.

good-luck