mastering the console & gpm mouse management

Hello all,
I'd like to know the tricks available in the unix console - I mean raw console,
no Xterm or whataver X console. One exemple: a lot of you do some screen output
copy in their messages. Copy & paste, sort of... How do you do that ?

Thanks to the General Purpose Mouse daemon I have a funny square hanging around
the screen which seems to respond my mouse's moves. But what can I do with it ?
I've tried it in some n-curses based "text-mode-graphical" apps, and clicking on
the buttons doesn't seem to do anything. I see I can select characters on the
screen, but what can I perform with this ?

Any chance to use the mouse in Links, or Aptitude ? or... maybe in Emacs ??

Thanks,

Vince