Re: /etc writeable [was: etc writeable blah]

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, William Ballard wrote:

> > most everything under /var/log /var/spool /var/run /var/tmp
>
> My bad.  I should have said "what other files in /etc

think you did say /etc ... but i added the other junk about /var
and gazillion other places

> need  to be writeable."

not many files if you get rid of /var

>  BootCD already cleans /var and /tmp and
> they use < 200K of the ramfile at boot.

200K is nice and small..

1.2MB floppy or less is the smallest boot i've seen
that blows up into a 8MB system running in /dev/ram or /dev/loop

> BTW, I ran "find /etc -mmin -10" and got:
> mtab

mtab is not needed ... it'd still mount afaik
	mount -n ....

>, motd,

if space and mem is an issue, motd is bells & whistles
for gigb-byte sized installs

> network/, network/ifstate

i dont use dhcp, but if its config'd for dhcp,
does the system write to /etc or just use it in memory ?

> I also added fstab and hostname as these will be
> convenient to edit.

fstab is read only
hostname is read only unless you allow dhcp to overwrite it
every time

c ya
alvin