Re: debian boot slow due to 2min 40 sec pause during exportfs in S20nfs-kernel-server

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:52:22 -0500, mlaks@verizon.net <mlaks@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi. I am using a notebook to share a debian mirror via a nfs mount.
>
> However the bootup of the notebook has become very slow, due to a 2minute 40
> second 'pause' in the script S20nfs-kernel-server in /etc/rc2.d while the
> program /sbin/exportfs -r is run. I am booting up not connected to the
> network.
>
> What is causing this timeout? I think that dns may be screwed up on the
> system... i know this cause I had to add the explicit ip addresses of device
> on the network to /etc/hosts to avoid a 10 second timeout for ssh between
> other systems and the notebook.
>
> I am struggling to understand cacheing nameservers.
> Of course my  nfs - exportfs issues  may be unrelated to my dns issues :). I
> just may be a multifactorial newbie/screwup here. :)
> Mitchell

Do you have host-name based authroity in your /etc/exports file?
ex:
/mirror                 host1,host2(ro)

If you do, NFS will try and resolve all hostnames first and cause a
really long timeout if it can not.

Just an idea...

--
Darryl