Manually Editing Kernel .config

How do I manually configure my kernel to build snd-hwdep.ko?

I built an extra kernel module (snd-bt-sco.ko) which requires snd-hwdep.ko, but snd-hwdep.ko isn't built, & there's no kernel configuration option to enable it.

I tried manually adding "CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m" to my .config, but it is removed by "make-kpkg kernel_package". I even tried running "make-kpkg configure" first, but the configure rule depends on .config, so it's always rerun after I add "CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m".

Some googling / gmaning only confirmed that the .config shouldn't be edited manually. No information how to manually configure "CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m".

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Jack