Re: discover seems to have changed my NICs

Apparently, _Jeremy Turner_, on 20/12/04 17:39,typed:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 03:59:15PM -0500, H. S. wrote:

I then realized that I had updated discover just recently. Maybe that detected the NICs in a different way and made eth0 as eth1 and vice versa.

That sounds like what happened.  When you move between kernel versions
(atleast a 2.4 to a 2.6) the order in which modules load might change.

If you use a kernel with modules for your NICs, I would suggest using
aliases to explicitly name your ethernet cards.  Something like:

# echo "alias eth0 3c59x" >> /etc/modprobe.d/alias
# echo "alias eth1 tulip" >> /etc/modprobe.d/alias
# update-modules

Replace "3c59x" and "tulip" with your NIC module names.

Jeremy

{modprobe.d}> ls -l /etc/modprobe.d/alias
ls: /etc/modprobe.d/alias: No such file or directory

However, I do have a "aliases" file in this directory, but which says:
"# These are the standard aliases for devices and kernel drivers.
# This file does not need to be modified.
#
# Please file a bug against module-init-tools if a package needs a entry
# in this file."

So apparently I am supposed to edit myself. What's the deal here?

->HS