discover seems to have changed my NICs

Yesterday, due to some weird reason, my network went down yesterday. When I rebooted into Fedora to see if it worked, it did. Then I rebooted into 2.4.26 kernel in Debian. That worked too. Then I tried again in 2.6.9 and 2.6.7 kernels in Debian and networking failed again.

This morning I ran pppoeconf again (in Debain) and noticed with surprise that it was detecting my pppoe connection on the different NIC. I have two NICs, eth0 and eth1. Once connects to the ADSL modem and the other to my LAN switch for masquarading.

I then realized that I had updated discover just recently. Maybe that detected the NICs in a different way and made eth0 as eth1 and vice versa.

The solution was to interchange the configuration of eth1 and eth0 in Debian and then my networking worked perfectly.

BTW, in Fedora, the detection was opposite to that Debian till yesterday (eth1 in Debian was eth0 in Fedora and eth0 was eth1). Now eth0 is same as the one in Fedora.

Has anyone else experienced something like this recently? And how come the detection in Debian did not need to be changed when I ran 2.4.26 kernel?

->HS