Re: Fresh Sarge Install - 2.6.8 Kernel Panic

Roby wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Ryan Foley wrote:

Hey,

I'm new to this mailing list. I'm pretty familiar with linux
administration but I'm fairly new to using it as a workstation. I'm
hoping to solve a problem that I've run into several times with sarge,
usually causing me to fallback on pre-compiled kernel images from apt.

I have a fresh sarge installation on a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop. I
have everything configured as well as I can with the kernel image, so
I've compiled a 2.6.8 kernel. However, booting into the new kernel
gives me the following panic:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I have WinXP on hda1 with the Debian installation on a single
partition, hda2. Here's the config from my menu.list:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.820041219
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.820041219 root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=791
savedefault
boot

If it's a stock 2.6.x kernel, I believe it uses initrd. I'm not familiar
with grub, but lilo needs to be informed of the initrd file. grub
probably does also; I'd try adding "initrd=/initrd.img" to the
parameters on the kernel line.

Agreed.  I think you also need two additional parameters in the kernel line:

        ramdisk_size=100000  init=/etc/init

... so it was with my menu.lst modifications to boot Knoppix on hard drive.

Roby

There is no initrd.img file for my current kernel in /boot. I tried making a new one with "mkinitrd -k -o /boot/initrd.img -r /dev/hda2" but booting with it caused the following error to repeat and eventially give a kernel panic:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.820041219/modules.dep: No such file or directory

-Ryan