Why do I have to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH & LD_LIBRARY_PATH to compile, link, and run my app??

Hi,

I am currently developing an app that uses two libraries (ClanLib & MySQL++). I installed clanlib
through configure, make, make install as the clanlib package for debian is way too old. Clanlib is
installed in /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include, and /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.
If I don't set the path variables (PKG_CONFIG_PATH & LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to the paths mentioned, I
get errors about header and library files (.pc, .so.0) not found. PKG_CONFIG_PATH comes in for
both compilation and linkage. LD_LIBRARY_PATH comes in when I actually run my app.
My question is why is pkg-config not configured to check in /usr/local/lib? I thought it was by
default.
I tried to search the web on how my app searches for shared libraries, but couldn't find anything
helpful. Can you show me some docs that talk about that?

I know I am a newbie when it comes to Linux (less than a year using it extensively). So excuse my
lack of knowledge about this. I did try to check manuals, google, etc.. but I got not answer to my
questions.

Thanks,
ib