hangup during boot (kernel 2.4.27)

Hello,
I've installed debian Sarge on my system successfully, using the iso
image sarge-i386-netinst.iso
Everything boots fine, but I wanted to recompile a customized kernel,
because of a new video driver that I want to install, but I cannot get
it to boot with my customized kernel.

Debian is installed on an ext3 filesystem on the first partition of my
second harddrive (hdb1). So I enabled all ext3 FS options in the
Filesystem section of the kernel configuration (not as modules, but
embedded in the kernel).
The kernel itself boots fine (using Grub), it also says that it mounts
the root device, but it hangs after the message: "INIT: version 2.86
booting"
The only thing I can do is reboot again and startup with the original
kernel.
I have no idea why this happens, because I see no error messages from
the kernel. Also no error messages are written to /var/log/kern.log or
/var/log/messages.

I already added an echo line in the /etc/init/d/rcS script, but it is
never printed.
So I have the feeling that 'init' is somehow unable to read the script
files.
Is it possible to pass a debug/verbose option to 'init' so that it tells
me where it hangs?

Does anyone have other suggestion of a way to track down this problem?

Thanks,
Michiel

PS My system is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with a Asus K8V SE motherboard.
Harddisk is: Western Digital 80GB