dnsmasq help needed

using tcpdump I see that Intranet queries are resolved on my localhost by the installed dnsmasq daemon (e.g. w3.ibm.com) while external sites (e.g. www.apple.com) are always sent to the first upstream DNS each time.

Why ?

Thank you for any help,
Bob Alexander

/etc/dnsmasq.conf only has the following uncommented:
domain-needed
bogus-priv

/etc/resolv.conf (as written by dhcp3/resolconf) is (within IBM):
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 9.139.236.161
nameserver 9.139.236.162
nameserver 9.139.236.5