Re: Window sizing on Windowmaker

on Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 09:51:04AM +0000, Piers Kittel (debian@biased.org) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Have used windowmaker a lot for quite a while on my work and home
> computers, but one thing really bugs me is that only a few certain
> window, when opened, is sized in crazy sizes.  For example, if I open an
> email in Thunderbird, the window takes up the full width but only 1cm or
> so high, but the other windows (such as writing an new email etc) always
> starts up maximised.  Another ex, on my home computer, when Thunderbird
> starts up, it is about 1cm wide, and a couple inches tall - and no
> matter what I do, I can't get those windows to start up maximised?  I
> know my examples are Thunderbird centric, but it affects other programs.
>
> Any ideas anyone?

Windows should be sized to the dimensions last used, in most cases.

Suggestion:

   - Open the application.
   - Check that the window isn't set as "maximized".
   - Size the window to the dimensions desired.
   - Close the application.
   - Restart the application.

...are your windows sized as you want?

Another option is to bind a hotkey sequence to the "maximize window
vertically" function.  In my case, <alt><space> does this (set this
through the WPrefs utility).  So if I get a small window a quick tap
fills my monitor vertically.  Very useful.  I've also got <alt><F10> set
to maximize fully, though that's something used less often.

Peace.

    My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father.  Prepare to die.
    - Princess Bride