Re: ilohamail

David Mandelberg wrote:
Tom Allison wrote:

David Mandelberg wrote:

Tom Allison wrote:

The Ilohamail site seems to be under some serious repairs so
documentation is limited.

Can someone help me answer some simple questions about this?

You should ask the questions instead of asking if you can ask. I'll
try to
answer what I think your questions might be.

Maildir support

I think ilohamail uses IMAP or POP, so mailbox file format doesn't
matter as
long as it's supported by the IMAP/POP server (I use dovecot which
supports Maildir)

Shared folders

I don't think ilohamail supports them, but you could make a read only
(can't
send email) account that gets all shared stuff.

OK.
So I asked some really poorly thought out questions.

So, ilohamail is a IMAP/POP protocol interface to the mail server (like
dovecot which I also use).  That being the case, then all these
questions kind of fall into... "does dovecot support ...?"

Ilohamail uses IMAP and/or POP to read messages (instead of file IO), so any
questions about file formats or IMAP/POP capabilities are questions about the
IMAP/POP server (e.g. dovecot)

I've been using squirrelmail which has something of an IMAP support
built into it, but I'm not sure it's that solid.  I have problems with
large mail folders (Multiple folders >1500 each) causing squirrelmail to
fail.  It's also a bit inconsistent with maildir locations, but that's
minor.  I don't believe it's pure IMAP in it's protocol.

Squirrelmail (SM) does not do any direct file io, it uses IMAP to read messages
and SMTP to send them. The large folder problem is due to squirrel loading the
entire folder into ram. SM doesn't deal with maildir, that's the IMAP server's
job, so I don't know what you mean by "It's also a bit inconsistent with maildir
locations."

I was getting some of squirrelmail confused with couriers webmail. So squirrelmail being IMAP only is great. But the memory problems it is running into is a major defect in my environment. With the different mailing lists I'm subscribed to, I can hardly keep anything >30 days on any list. If I do, I'm likely to lose squirrelmail functionality on all mail folders.

I know that some people have argued that squirrelmail doesn't have any problems and it might be an apache problem. I haven't been able to look into this. But I've been playing around with some perl modules and can load in all the folders and lists of messages in these folders much faster than I can with PHP. Typically on the order of almost 10:1 in speed with upwards of 6,000 emails per directory. At least that was my largest test to date.

Iloha sounds very promising. Thank you.